Sanjay Dutt - Productions / Advertising / Business
Since 2000, Sanjay is in the film production business, too. Former production plans like Jungle and Chakra (for which Sanjay had founded Mumbai Talking Pictures, together with his brother-in-law Kumar Gaurav) were stalled already in the planning phase.
White Feather Films Pvt Ltd (2000-2007)
In 2000 and alongside with director Sanjay Gupta, Sanjay Dutt founded the production house White Feather Films, a banner which they in the following years fostered together. In June 2007, Dutt and Gupta launched the branch White Feather Arthouse Films which is going to produce non-commercial art and experimental movies. Shortly thereafter, Sanjay Dutt resigned as the chairman of White Feather Films, officially due to legal problems because of his court cases. But obviously the true reason was the fallout of the former friends Dutt and Gupta. If the revelations in Filmfare 1/2008 are true, Dutt's withdrawal is absolutely understandable.
WFF Productions (with Sanjay Dutt involved): Kaante (2002), Plan (2004), Musafir (2004), Zinda (2005), Shootout At Lokhandwala (2007), Dus Kahaniyaan (2007), Woodstock Villa (2008)
Sanjay Dutt in Zinda
Sanjay Dutt Productions Pvt Ltd (since 2007)
In September 2007, Sanjay Dutt announced to launch his own production house called Sanjay Dutt Productions Pvt Ltd. It says that he wants to merge his late dad Sunil Dutt’s defunct production house Ajanta Arts into his company, and that Sanjay's sisters Priya and Namrata will also be involved in the company. In 2012, Sanjay's wife Maanayata Dutt was appointed CEO of Sanjay Dutt Productions. Maana also handles Sanjay's finances and is, more of that, director of the energy saving solutions firm Mzaya-Sparkmatics Private Ltd. According to Sanjay, SDP is working with the directors Rohit Shetty, Milan Luthria nad Prabhudeva. However, he will act only if the director wants him for a particular role.
SDP Productions: Rascals (2011), Hasmukh Pighal Gaya (2013)
Official Twitter Account: SDP
- Since the beginning of his career Sanjay is continuously doing ads for many different items and brands including Marco Ricci Italy shoes & accessoires, Bagpiper Whiskey, Denim, bicycles (Hero Champion), tobacco (gutkha and pan masala), hair-care products (Yogiraj Thanda Tel), Rupa underwear and chicken meat (Venky's Chicken). "I've always been open to the idea of endorsing products. But I like to be careful about the products I endorse because I don't believe in misleading my fans. Apart from the fact that they bring in good money, ads also have a huge reach. When you're on TV, it's an in-your-face presence. In today's times, it's all about marketing yourself!" (Filmfare 9/2005). In 2005, Sanjay became the brand ambassador for iron bars made by Elegant (have a look on an advertising board in West Bengal) and did an advertising spot which was also shown in Goutam Ghose's film Yatra (2007). In 2008, Sanjay did a TV ad for SABMiller’s premium beer brand Haywards 5000 together with Suniel Shetty; in 2009, both shot endorsement photos for Shades Eyewear (Sanjay is brand ambassador for X Shades). In 2010, Sanjay as Game Master paired up with Ranbir Kapoor for the Pepsi ad "The Game". Together with his wife Maanayata he's Brand Ambassador for Sangini Diamond Jewellery. Sanjay was also appointed Brand Ambassador of Indian Boxing and for Trishul Builders.
- In July 2003, Sanjay announced in a Filmfare interview that he and his friend Suniel Shetty would start a chain of restaurants called SOS (Suniel aur Sanjay). The first restaurant in Hyderabad was indeed opened but I don't know for sure whether it still exists. In an article about Suniel Shetty from 2005, I couldn't find anything about SOS; concerning his business activities, Suniel just said, "With Sanju, I've got three Shades outlets selling high end sunglasses". So I suppose the restaurant plans were never realized, especially as Sanjay never mentioned them again after that interview - at least in none of the many interviews I've read. The same fate obviously happened with a chain of event restaurants called Indian Talkies which some BW stars, among them Sanjay, wanted to start in the end of the 90's.
- On October 14, 2004 Sanjay launched his company SON (Son Of Nargis). SON was to undertake production and marketing, create web sites for film stars and do stage shows. But frankly said I have no idea what happened with this company.
- At a press conference on August 22, 2009 at Healthworks Gym in Thane, Sanjay and Prabodh Davkhare who runs that gym (Healthworks India) announced their plans of starting a chain of fitness clubs and gyms together.
- Since 2011 director and promoter of Ticketplease.com together with Ajay Devgn.
- In 2012, Sanjay Dutt and Raj Kundra through their company Super Fight Promotions Pvt. Ltd. launched India's first professionally organized Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) fighting league, Super Fight League (SFL).